Google Search

Google

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Firewall: Checkpoint vs Netscreen

I've been using Checkpoint firewall since 2002 and still using it now. I've also had hands on with Netscreen and Cisco Pix. Till now I still prefer to use Checkpoint (given the option, provided your company can spend extra money to pay for the expensive software subscription and also its platform maintenance warranty.
Of all platform I've been using, i.e, SUN SPLAT, Nokia, Resilience, HP/Rainwall, I prefer to use SUN SPLAT more. I think it's because easy to use, easy to trace the logs via smartview tracker and my server running MRTG can pick up the stats from the SUN servers well.
If budget is a constraint, then Pix firewall is a good choice :)
However, Netscreen provide an alternative to Checkpoint due to its scalability and functionality.
Pros using Checkpoint
1. Can configure the fw policy offline and execute the policy at a later stage during maintenance window.
2. Can track fw logs easily and filter based on ports, source, dst ip, and rules #.


Pros using Netscreen
1. It's a hardware appliance based and the process of firewalling is more faster.
2. Whatever being configured on the WEBGUI is pushed automatically. (this can be a cons)
Anybody want to share their experience?

No comments:

Visitor